Intro to Swim Pedal Run & Novice Team
Not sure where to start or need a little help getting to the starting line? The nations largest triathlon team & Performance Bicycle have teamed up to provide a free 90-day triathlon coaching program.
What is S.P.R.I.N.T.
S.P.R.I.N.T. is an abbreviation for Swim, Pedal, Run, Intro & Novice Team. The team includes Coaches, Mentors & Athletes. This program supports Cal Tri’s mission to build a sustainable community where athletes of all levels have easy & affordable access to the resources, coaching and support needed to accomplish their goals.
What are the resources?
- USA Triathlon Certified Coaches Direct The Program
- Mentor Support From Start to Finish - 10:1 Athlete to Mentor Ratio
- 12 Week Sprint or Olympic Training Plan
- 14 Week Half distance Training Plan
- Monthly Motivational & Special Topics Speakers
- California Triathlon & Performance Bike S.P.R.I.N.T. Diploma
- Includes A Premium No-Fee California Triathlon membership
- No Fundraising Requirements
Who is on the team?
Athletes are coached and guided by a combination of USA Triathlon Coaches & volunteer Mentors who have appropriate race experience. The Athletes are individuals with a passion to get triathlon race ready in 90 days.
How much does it cost?
Free. Zip. Zilch. Nada. This supports Cal Tri’s mission is to build a sustainable community where athletes of all levels have easy & affordable access to the resources, coaching and support needed to accomplish their goals.
Who can be a mentor?
Mentors have the opportunity to pass forward some hard-won knowledge. We have Mentors that are professional Athletes, Kona qualifiers, as well as 2-3x racers. Mentors will serve as a resource for up to 10 Athletes per session.
What do athletes need to do?
- Join the California Triathlon Team
- Register For The S.P.R.I.N.T. Program
- Purchase California Triathlon kit - A kit describes the jersey and shorts that feature the CalTri colors. For example, you could purchase the tri shorts and tri top to make up a CalTri kit.
- Upon purchase of Cal Tri kit, you will be assigned a mentor.
- Engage and lean on your mentor for help and support
- Have a great attitude and be ready to surprise yourself
- Complete your diploma
- Pay it forward by volunteering in your community
For more information contact Marina@CaliforniaTriathlon.org
Get To Know The Mentors
Jared Willbergh (Sept/Oct races) - I am a triathlete who lives in the East Bay Area. I enjoy all types of short course racing and have recently started MTB racing and will be participating in a few XTERRA type events this season. I usually throw in one long distance race per season as I am currently training for Ironman Santa Rosa 70.3. I decided to volunteer for the program to give back to the sport that I love. I was once a beginner triathlete who had a lot of questions and didn’t know where to start.
Roland Valdez (May Races) – My name is Roland Valdez and I currently live in Burbank and I work as a technical support engineer.
I started racing triathlons in 2011 and still do. I decided to volunteer as mentor because as I was mentored as a beginner, I learned how important it is to have someone experienced available to help getting to know the sport during the first year of trying it out. I want to share my knowledge and experience with new triathletes and ensure they have a fun journey and successful race day.
I am currently signed up for TriEvents#3, Goleta Beach Triatlon, and Ironman Arizona this year.
Mike Owen (June races) - I’m a hotel manager who is married with 4 girls, 3 of which are triplets who just turned a year old and although are a lot of fun, are a lot of work, too. I volunteered to help out folks new to the sport because I find great inspiration in their decision to take this challenge and better themselves and the journey that comes with it and it makes me want to use the time that I have to train and become better at this sport, too. I’m currently training for the Big Bear Olympic in June and Lake Tahoe Half in August.
Mary Tanner (Aug races) - My name is Mary Tanner and I live in Seaside, CA. I have been competing in triathlon and Ironman for the past 15 years. I am sidelined this year due to a DVT in my leg and would like to give back! This year in unknown in terms of racing but I will make up for it in 2018!