Intro to Swim Pedal Run & Novice Team
Not sure where to start or need a little help getting to the starting line? The nations largest triathlon team & Performance Bicycle have teamed up to provide a free 90-day triathlon coaching program.
What is S.P.R.I.N.T.
S.P.R.I.N.T. is an abbreviation for Swim, Pedal, Run, Intro & Novice Team. The team includes Coaches, Mentors & Athletes. This program supports Cal Tri’s mission to build a sustainable community where athletes of all levels have easy & affordable access to the resources, coaching and support needed to accomplish their goals.
What are the resources?
- USA Triathlon Certified Coaches Direct The Program
- Mentor Support From Start to Finish - 10:1 Athlete to Mentor Ratio
- 12 Week Sprint or Olympic Training Plan
- 14 Week Half distance Training Plan
- Online resources like Mentor Sara Randolph’s article What to Bring to a Triathlon
- Monthly Motivational & Special Topics Speakers
- California Triathlon & Performance Bike S.P.R.I.N.T. Diploma
- Includes A Premium No-Fee California Triathlon membership
- No Fundraising Requirements
Who is on the team?
Athletes are coached and guided by a combination of USA Triathlon Coaches & volunteer Mentors who have appropriate race experience. The Athletes are individuals with a passion to get triathlon race ready in 90 days.
How much does it cost?
Free. Zip. Zilch. Nada. This supports Cal Tri’s mission is to build a sustainable community where athletes of all levels have easy & affordable access to the resources, coaching and support needed to accomplish their goals.
Who can be a mentor?
Mentors have the opportunity to pass forward some hard won knowledge. We have Mentors that are professional Athletes, Kona qualifiers, as well as 2-3x racers. Mentors will serve as a resource for up to 10 Athletes per session. Mentors are required to be present for the Kickoff & Graduation events and be accessible to answer Athletes’ questions.
What do mentors receive?
Besides sharing your love of triathlon with others, Mentors will be invited to special “Mentor Only” training and social events and receive SWAG to recognize your involvement.
What do athletes need to do?
- Join the California Triathlon Team
- Register For The S.P.R.I.N.T. Program
- Purchase California Triathlon kit - A kit describes the jersey and shorts that feature the CalTri colors. For example, using the link above, you could purchase:
Together, these equal a “California Trithalon Tri Kit”
- Upon purchase of Cal Tri kit, you will be assigned a mentor.
- Engage and lean on your mentor for help and support
- Have a great attitude and be ready to surprise yourself
- Complete your diploma
- Pay it forward by volunteering in your community
For more information contact Marina@CaliforniaTriathlon.org
Get To Know The Mentors
I started racing triathlons in 2011 and still do. I decided to volunteer as mentor because as I was mentored as a beginner, I learned how important it is to have someone experienced available to help getting to know the sport during the first year of trying it out. I want to share my knowledge and experience with new triathletes and ensure they have a fun journey and successful race day.
I am currently signed up for TriEvents#3, Goleta Beach Triatlon, and Ironman Arizona this year.