Not sure where to start or need a little help getting to the starting line? The nations largest triathlon team & Performance Bicycle have teamed up to provide a free 90 day triathlon coaching program.
- USA Triathlon Certified Coaches Direct The Program
- Mentor Support From Start to Finish - 10:1 Athlete to Mentor Ratio
- 12 Week Sprint or Olympic Training Plan
- 14 Week Half distance Training Plan
- Online resources like Mentor Sara Randolph’s article What to Bring to a Triathlon
- Monthly Motivational & Special Topics Speakers
- California Triathlon & Performance Bike S.P.R.I.N.T. Diploma
- Includes A Premium No-Fee California Triathlon membership
- No Fundraising Requirements
WHO IS ON THE TEAM? Athletes are coached and guided by a combination of USA Triathlon Coaches & volunteer Mentors who have appropriate race experience. The Athletes are individuals with a passion to get triathlon race ready in 90 days.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? Free. Zip. Zilch. Nada. This supports Cal Tri’s mission is to build a sustainable community where athletes of all levels have easy & affordable access to the resources, coaching and support needed to accomplish their goals.
WHO CAN BE A MENTOR? Mentors have the opportunity to pass forward some hard won knowledge. We have Mentors that are professional Athletes, Kona qualifiers, as well as 2-3x racers. Mentors will serve as a resource for up to 10 Athletes per session. Mentors are required to be present for the Kickoff & Graduation events and be accessible to answer Athletes’ questions.
WHAT DO MENTORS RECEIVE? Besides sharing your love of triathlon with others, Mentors will be invited to special “Mentor Only” training and social events and receive SWAG to recognize your involvement.
WHAT DO ATHLETES NEED TO DO?
- Join the California Triathlon Team
- Register For The S.P.R.I.N.T. Program
- Purchase a “cap & gown” ~ California Triathlon kit - for race day [graduation]
- Upon purchase of Cal Tri kit (cap & gown) you will be assigned a mentor. What’s a kit? That’s the term used to describe the jersey and shorts, and feature the Cal Tri colors. For example, using the link above, you could purchase:
Together these equal a “California Trithalon Tri Kit”
- Engage and lean on your mentor for help and support
- Have a great attitude and be ready to surprise yourself
- Complete your diploma
- Pay it forward by volunteering in your community
For more information contact Marina@CaliforniaTriathlon.org
Get To Know The Mentors
Jared Willbergh (Sept/Oct races) - I am a triathlete who lives in the East Bay Area. I enjoy all types of short course racing and have recently started MTB racing and will be participating in a few XTERRA type events this season. I usually throw in one long distance race per season as I am currently training for Ironman Santa Rosa 70.3. I decided to volunteer for the program to give back to the sport that I love. I was once a beginner triathlete who had a lot of questions and didn’t know where to start.
Roland Valdez (May Races) – My name is Roland Valdez and I currently live in Burbank and I work as a technical support engineer.
I started racing triathlons in 2011 and still do. I decided to volunteer as mentor because as I was mentored as a beginner, I learned how important it is to have someone experienced available to help getting to know the sport during the first year of trying it out. I want to share my knowledge and experience with new triathletes and ensure they have a fun journey and successful race day.
I am currently signed up for TriEvents#3, Goleta Beach Triatlon, and Ironman Arizona this year.
Mike Owen (June races) - I’m a hotel manager who is married with 4 girls, 3 of which are triplets who just turned a year old and although are a lot of fun, are a lot of work, too. I volunteered to help out folks new to the sport because I find great inspiration in their decision to take this challenge and better themselves and the journey that comes with it and it makes me want to use the time that I have to train and become better at this sport, too. I’m currently training for the Big Bear Olympic in June and Lake Tahoe Half in August.
Mary Tanner (Aug races) - My name is Mary Tanner and I live in Seaside, CA. I have been competing in triathlon and Ironman for the past 15 years. I am sidelined this year due to a DVT in my leg and would like to give back! This year in unknown in terms of racing but I will make up for it in 2018!