California Triathlon is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization that provides a premium no-fee membership to over 4,000 athletes around the U.S. Southern California Aquatics (SCAQ) is the largest Masters swimming program in the U.S.
We are thrilled to announce our 2017 Ocean Swim Series
- Ocean sessions coached by Olympic Gold Medalist David Walters and SCAQ’s highly accomplished team of swim coaches
- Weekly open water swims in Hermosa Beach & Santa Monica
- Focused training program to develop strategy, skill, and speed
- Pool workouts that reinforce training topics & prepare swimmers for open water with Olympic Silver Medalist Clay Evans & SCAQ coaches
- Monthly competitive events and beginner-friendly clinics
California Triathlon & SCAQ have been working together since 2014, when we joined forces to provide the first-ever permitted & lifeguarded group swims in Santa Monica and Hermosa Beach.
- Tuesday morning 6 AM swims (starting 5/30) in Hermosa Beach at 13th Street Lifeguard Tower (just north of the Hermosa Beach Pier) through September
- Thursday morning 6 AM swims (starting 6/1) in Santa Monica at Lifeguard Tower #26 (at the end of Ocean Park Blvd/Barnard Way) through September
- Weekly training topics with specialized instruction & drills
- Supporting pool workouts to reinforce ocean swim weekly training topics will be offered at selected SCAQ masters swims at Culver City, El Segundo, Occidental, Valley & Westwood Pools. Please check the California Triathlon Los Angeles calendar for details & RSVP.
- Friday evening 6 PM sunset swims in Santa Monica (Lifeguard Tower #2/ Annenberg Community Beach House), once per month (June, July, August, September, October), with a competitive/race simulation format
We are proud of the fact that we’ve been able to offer our Ocean Swim Series free of charge for the last three years. Rising costs now require us to charge for registration, however in keeping with California Triathlon’s mission, we’ve made it extremely affordable to receive world class instruction all summer long. Additionally, members who support Cal Tri as fundraising volunteers, and current SCAQ members, will not need to pay to participate.
- Cal Tri 2016-2017 fundraising volunteers: FREE
- Current SCAQ members: FREE
- Everyone else:
- $90 for the whole summer
- $45 Junior rate (22 years and under) for the whole summer
- Athletes will have the option to pay for June-July or August-September for $50 Adult/ $25 Junior
- STARTING JULY 20th, the registration fee will be $60 Adult/ $30 Junior for the remainder of the summer (through September and possibly extending into October)
- Special swim caps will be issued at Ocean Swim sessions starting in early July. Your Gold swim cap is your proof that you’ve registered/paid for the series. Please do not share or lose your swim cap.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION (CAL TRI volunteers & SCAQ members who have earned free registration will be prompted to obtain a code from Kathryn (SCAQ) or Anthony (Cal Tri))
You must RSVP for each swim session you plan to attend on the California Triathlon Los Angeles calendar so we can accurately account for and communicate with all attendees as needed.
IMPORTANT: If this will be your first time swimming with SCAQ, you must complete SCAQ’s Free Trial Workout form, which includes their required waiver, online at: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/tw.cfm?c=1 – you only need to complete this form once.
Our core ocean swim workouts are intended for intermediate to advanced level swimmers, who have some experience in open water conditions and/or are capable of swimming 1000 meters in 20 minutes or less. We will make it clear which events are geared towards beginners and where we will have additional coaches