September 2018 Updates:
1) New start times: Beginning September 4th, our weekday morning swims (Tuesdsays in Hermosa Beach, Thursdays in Santa Monica) will meet at 6:20 AM (instead of 6 AM) to adjust to the later sunrise, because no one wants to swim in the dark!
2) NO REGISTRATION FEE: After Labor Day, we are waiving the registration fee for the remaining 4 weeks of our ocean swim series. We encourage everyone to drop in and check out our coached weekday ocean swims (Tuesdays in Hermosa Beach, Thursdays in Santa Monica) and final Sunset Swim (Friday 9/14), free of charge! Thanks!
You must RSVP for each swim session you plan to attend on the California Triathlon calendar so we can accurately account for and communicate with all attendees as needed.
IMPORTANT: If this will be your first time swimming with SCAQ, you must complete SCAQ’s Free Trial Workout form, which includes their required waiver. You only need to complete this form once.
California Triathlon is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization that provides a premium no-fee membership to over 4,000 athletes around the U.S. Southern California Aquatics (SCAQ) is the largest Masters swimming program in the U.S.
- Ocean sessions coached by SCAQ’s highly accomplished team of swim coaches, including Olympic medalists, collegiate champions, and ocean lifeguards
- Weekly open water swims in Hermosa Beach & Santa Monica
- Focused training program to develop strategy, skill, and speed
- Monthly Friday Evening “Sunset Swim” events out of Santa Monica
- Competitive events and beginner-friendly clinics
California Triathlon & SCAQ have been working together since 2014, when we joined forces to provide the first-ever permitted & lifeguarded group swims in Santa Monica and Hermosa Beach. Our 2018 Ocean Swim Series includes:
- Tuesday morning 6 AM swims (starting 5/29) in Hermosa Beach at 13th Street Lifeguard Tower (just north of the Hermosa Beach Pier) through September
- Thursday morning 6 AM swims (starting 5/31) in Santa Monica at Lifeguard Tower #26 (at the end of Ocean Park Blvd/Barnard Way) through September
- Monthly Friday evening 6 PM Sunset Swims in Santa Monica (Lifeguard Tower #4/ Annenberg Community Beach House) including a competitive/race simulation format
- Dates: June 8th, July 13th, August 10th, September 14th
- Additional beginner-friendly open water swim clinics and supporting pool workouts (to be announced)
- Coaching on swim strategy and technique, with specific drills and main sets designed to reinforce training topics
Our core ocean swim workouts are intended for intermediate to advanced level swimmers, who have some experience in open water conditions and/or are capable of swimming 1000 meters in 20 minutes or less. We will make it clear which events are geared towards beginners and where we will have additional coaches available.