Visualization / Meditation

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Visualization / Meditation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee 2 months ago.

• Author

urs
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 22

Who’s been practicing any form of visualization or sport-specific meditation? I get tense before big meets and started doing a guided sports performance meditation a couple of weeks ago. It definitely helped with the nerves but I found it REALLY helped with pacing. A sports psychologist I was talking to about it said one of the reasons visualization is so powerful is that your mind doesn’t really distinguish between a vividly-imagined event and one that actually happened. So the neural pathways you build in your mind lay the groundwork for easier execution in the pool (or the road, or the trail).

Do you do this? How’s it work for you? Any apps or free downloads you recommend?

Facebook Profile photo
      Harrison Shao
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 19

I used a lot in competition in my past sports. It helps if you have a vivid imagination which I do. You can imagine *what-if scenarios and you can problem your way through it. It’s like building experience – without having doing it. When the time comes – it’s like I’ve been in that situation before.

Facebook Profile photo
        Kim Degen
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 121

I used it a lot when I was in track and field for the throwing events. It really helped to visualize the various elements of the throw. Now I use the technique to help me walk through transitions so that I can be as efficient as possible. I may never have a sub-2 minute transition but if I can keep the time low without forgetting things I need in T1 and T2 then it’s a win for me. While I visualize before the race, I’ll do it during as well which often helps me forget about the current suffering going on in the swim or bike so another plus to using the technique.

urs
          Keymaster
          • Total Posts: 22

I like the idea of doing it during the race, Kim. For one thing, I imagine it helps maintain the mindset that you’re swimming past the buoy / pier / whatever, not to it. Keeps your speed and mental focus consistent.

Facebook Profile photo
            Monica Lee
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 17

I actually meditate twice a week just to reduce stress in general. When I have bigger races coming up I try and visualize myself swimming, biking and running. Also visualize what I will be doing during transitions. The more you can conceptualize it the easier it will be on race day. It also reduces negative thoughts in your head and helps to focus on positive aspects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.