TriSports.com AAR

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion TriSports.com AAR

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Thom 1 month ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Michael H
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 30

AAR = After Action Report, BTW 🙂

Interesting (IMHO) take on the TriSports BK, and the Tri industry in general. One bit stood out to me:

I’ve seen five other bicycle and triathlon retailers ride their businesses into the ground. TriSports.com is just the biggest of us to close. It’s the 9/11, the Black Tuesday, the Automotive Recession, the Chernobyl, the Fukushima and the Three-Mile Island of the triathlon retail industry. Once the fallout clears, the industry will be radioactive for years and will only be habitable by ego-driven mutants of the small business world deformed by their bizarre and nonsensical toxic obsession with a sport and a “business” that eats its young, then consumes itself as their internal voice tells them, “I am the one who can get this right”.

They’re wrong. The triathlon business is no longer viable on any significant scale beyond hobby. There are a lot of reasons for that, enough to fill a book.

Wow…lots to unpack there. But this seems to fall in line with the noted decline in Tri participation overall. Let’s hope that there will be some slowing or rebound soon!!

TriSports.com Closing: An Insider’s Look At The Business and Culture.

Facebook Profile photo
      Thom
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 199

My understanding was the TriSports borrowed money to make some long term investments and then Bank of the West [I think] pulled the loan. There was a lawsuit which TriSports won but the expense of the lawsuit put Seton and crew under. I heard they were profitable.

You have to ask yourself if you had a sum of money would the triathlon retail business be the best opportunity out there. The answer is likely a hard no.

It is nice to see other people take an interest in the business of the business. Thank you for your post.

Facebook Profile photo
        Michael H
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 30

The bank calling the loan was how I understood it, too.

Makes one wonder why the bank felt it necessary to call the loan, though.

Another interesting read:

How the Superbike Killed Triathlon

I’m on-board with a lot of this…I’m new to Triathlon and have brought two friends into the fold this year (we’ll all be at Trick or Tri, haha!!). My standard advice on the bike purchase is to get a good road bike (minimum w/11-speed 105 to make the upgrade path easier) and go from there.

Facebook Profile photo
          Thom
          Keymaster
          • Total Posts: 199

Agree on the 105 as a minimum. Sora, Tiagra and the rest have a tendency not to last.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.