Tips/Tricks for Returning to the Pool

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Tips/Tricks for Returning to the Pool

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  urs 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Kim Degen
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 152

Does anyone have some good tips or tricks they can share on how to return to pool training after a long layoff in swim training especially training in the pool?

I’ve had several people mention they are dreading getting back into the pool and I’m not much better too. I’ve managed to make it back in the pool once but I lacked the motivation to finish the actual workout.

Thanks!

Facebook Profile photo
      David Shostak
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9

I returned to the pool and triathlons after a 20 year layoff. My thought process was to take it slow and build up my endurance before thinking about speed. My thought was if I jumped into the pool that was a good start. Do 100 yards or what ever you want to start with and call it a day. You need to develop a rhythm. I did 100 yards then 300 yards and slowly built my endurance up. I put together a 19 week training plan to get myself ready for the LA Tri Series #1 Sprint in March. Develop a training plan for the event you want to compete in and slowly build up your endurance. During your time in the water it is not always freestyle stroke mix in breast and side stroke . Use kick boards and paddles. I also use a back and forth progression method when you hit 300 yards go back to 200 yards then jump up to 400, go back to 300 and then up to 500 yards, etc. Let the body rest and get used to the distance. I have more to say but here is a start. Hope it helps.

Facebook Profile photo
        David Shostak
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 9

OMT, I also understand what is a good stroke and how to be efficient and balanced in the water. Learn to relax in the water. Make the water your friend.

Facebook Profile photo
          Sara Clifford Randolph
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 79

I like to do a swim ladder when I’m trying to build up distance or even when I’m short on time. You can set the steps on the ladder based on where you are with your fitness or how much time you have to swim that day.

For example – step up by 25’s, 50’s or 100’s. You can just swim or use a mixture of pull buoy and paddles or even some kick board. You could even switch up the types of strokes depending on your swim experience.

Example Sets:

100, 200, 300, 200, 100 – do them with choice amount of rest or set the amount of rest specific for each set (10 or 20 seconds to make it more aerobic)
            100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100

25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 175, 150, 125, 100, 75, 50, 25 – this set will keep you switching to different sides of the pool for your starts and makes the workout a little more exciting.

50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50

Facebook Profile photo
            Sara Clifford Randolph
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 79

If you’re looking to structure your swim week, I recommend a couple easy sets each week with longer distance and slower pace and at least 1 speed set a week. Just like running, a good tempo swim is always helpful for improving your swim fitness. Depending on your goal race distance – your swim week might look something like this:

Assuming 3 days of swimming per week:

Monday: 100 swim warm up, 100 kick, 4×300 swim easy pace, 100 cool down (choice)

Wednesday: 200 swim warm up, 100 pull buoy, 10×100 with 10-30 seconds rest in between each 100, 100 pull buoy, 100 easy cool down swim (choice)

Saturday: 2-4 x 500 (sets done as swim, pull buoy, paddles, pull buoy + paddles) number of 500’s depends on goal race distance. This workout can also be done as 1000 yard sets based on goal race distance.

Facebook Profile photo
              Anthony Grey
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 56

From my experience, one of the best motivators is having others who will place some not so subtle pressure on you to get back in the pool and hold you accountable for showing up.

If you’re able to join a master’s swim program, then you will have other swimmers, lane mates, and perhaps a coach who will be expecting you there.

If not, then at least find a friend that you can commit to meeting for a swim. It’s harder to back out of a workout if someone else is counting on you being there.

urs
                Keymaster
                • Total Posts: 28

This is all great advice!

One other option I’d mention, for Los Angeles types: if you’re anywhere near Northeast Los Angeles, come on down to the CalTri Masters’ program, run by our ocean swim partner SCAQ, held MWF at Occidental College in Eagle Rock. The first day back is January 3rd (http://californiatriathlon.org/rc/calendar/171879) after the winter break, so everyone will be rusty — and glad to see you! There are a few different training options this year, including a 90-minute option for people who want more yardage, so check the calendar and check it out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.