The best indoor bike trainer

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion The best indoor bike trainer

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Monica Lee
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 26

I am looking to train more before and after work on my bike, but it is quite dark. Thoughts on the best indoor bike trainer?

Facebook Profile photo
      Kim Degen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 149

Hi Monica

My vote would be for the Wahoo Kickr due to the easy setup and features. I love the fact that I’m not burning through tires any more due to the direct mount to the Kickr. It works good with apps like Zwift and Trainer Road too. Unfortunately it comes with a pretty big price tag which places outside many athlete’s budgets.

DC Rainmaker does a great job reviewing and making recommendations on bike trainers in a variety of different price ranges so I would suggest taking a look at his latest article too…

Annual Winter 2017-2018 Bike Trainer Recommendations by DC RAINMAKER

Marc Geraldez
        Keymaster
        • Total Posts: 6

I also have the Wahoo Kickr. I have it paired with Zwift and love it.

Facebook Profile photo
          Monica Lee
          Participant

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

Facebook Profile photo
            Thom
            Keymaster
            • Total Posts: 230

I use the Wahoo Kickr. With the Performance Bike discount it cost me about $1000 from what I remember. You can spend about 1/2 that for the Kickr Snap but that is suboptimal for a couple reasons. The accuracy of the Kickr is about 2% versus 5% for the Snap if memory serves. Also with the Kickr you take your back wheel off so it is direct drive versus the Snap where you are ruining tires and smelling rubber.

It has worked with no issues. Would recommend looking at YouTube for maintenance guidelines maybe every 6-12 months or as needed. Get yourself a lot of towels and make sure you wipe yourself and your bike down after your training. A fan is a must too.

As for software check out Trainer Road, Sufferfest and Zwift. Each has their own feature set. Zwift moved there price up to $15/mo recently and many of my SoCal friends opted out due to all the great weather.

Facebook Profile photo
              Thom
              Keymaster
              • Total Posts: 230

I use the Wahoo Kickr. With the Performance Bike discount it cost me about $1000 from what I remember. You can spend about 1/2 that for the Kickr Snap but that is suboptimal for a couple reasons. The accuracy of the Kickr is about 2% versus 5% for the Snap if memory serves. Also with the Kickr you take your back wheel off so it is direct drive versus the Snap where you are ruining tires and smelling rubber.

It has worked with no issues. Would recommend looking at YouTube for maintenance guidelines maybe every 6-12 months or as needed. Get yourself a lot of towels and make sure you wipe yourself and your bike down after your training. A fan is a must too.

As for software check out Trainer Road, Sufferfest and Zwift. Each has their own feature set. Zwift moved there price up to $15/mo recently and many of my SoCal friends opted out due to all the great weather.

Facebook Profile photo
                Monica Lee
                Participant

Thanks Thom! I will defiantly check this out at Performance Bikes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.