Sport Psychology – Mental Preparation

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Sport Psychology – Mental Preparation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Sara Clifford Randolph 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Seth Rose
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 2

Hey all!

First post here! I am a lecturer at CSU Fullerton in Kinesiology and teach Sport Psychology and Performance Enhancement. I LOVE the mental approach to performance and sport. I have been racing triathlon for 6 years competitively, and often find using myself as a guinea pig during training and come race day! I saw a archived post on here about visualization and imagery, but I would love to here your take or best practices that YOU use on the mental approach to triathlon. Let’s get a good discussion going!

Here is a recent article I wrote for begginertriathlete.com to stir some ideas up!
      http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2879

If you have any questions about improving your mental game in triathlon, feel free to contact me!
      sethrose22@gmail.com

Facebook Profile photo
      Thom
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 199

Welcome Seth. Specific to race day I try to keep it simple and focus on 3 areas: Preparation, Avoiding Distractions & Adaptation.

PREPARATION. Going to bed the night before with everything ready to go for the next day. Just wake up, grab breakfast and jump in the car. It puts me in the right state of mind.

AVOIDING DISTRACTIONS. I really enjoy the time alone getting to the race venue and then being of good cheer once there. Definitely avoid both nervous Nellies and the OCD crowd when getting ready. Then some time to check in on my friends, catch up on life and wish them good luck.

ADAPTATION. No race ever goes exactly to plan. Knowing that is actually the plan. I have seen some athletes defeated before the race even begins because of changes to the start time or course or because they didn’t get the right size technical shirt. We all race the same race so if it is hot everyone is going to experience the same heat. It is interesting to see who can adapt. Two athletes look at the same problem and one digs in and the other throws their hands up in defeat. The next time I do the perfect race will be the 1st time I do the perfect race.

Those are some of my thoughts about mental preparation on race day. Nothing too mind blowing.

Facebook Profile photo
        Sara Clifford Randolph
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 72

Seth – Thanks for sharing this article. I think you make a lot of great points about preparing mentally for training and racing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.