Smart Shoes/Insoles

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Smart Shoes/Insoles

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Kim Degen 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Kim Degen
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 135

Triathlete.com posted a new article on some of the latest smart shoes and insoles. I never imagined I would some day be charging my shoes before I went out for a run. Some of the metrics provided is also available in other technology like the Stryd power meter but the ability to see where on your foot (forefoot, midfoot or hell) you land is pretty cool. In my review (I might have missed it), it doesn’t appear the shoes provide a power reading like the Stryd though which was interesting.

With the new tech, there is an increase in cost to the shoes of course which hopefully will be reduced over time.

What does everyone think? Ready to wear some high-tech shoes on your next run.

This Smart Footwear Wants to Make You a Better Runner

Facebook Profile photo
      Thom
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 202

What again do you do with the data? “I was out this morning and my shoes told me so and so…” Do you slap your head and remind yourself to run “better” next time. Less is more.

Facebook Profile photo
        Kim Degen
        Participant

Well the foot strike location would probably be used by my PT to slap me in the head and tell me not to do that. 😉

Many of the other ‘features’ can be found on the current GPS watches that many people have.

Facebook Profile photo
          Thom
          Keymaster
          • Total Posts: 202

But some people are heel strikers and others are midsole. What if the way you are running is the way your body likes to run? We see swimmers with long strokes and others with short choppy strokes. Both can be effective. I just don’t think there is one right way to do things.

Facebook Profile photo
            Kim Degen
            Participant

I agree. Everyone is different and what works for me probably doesn’t work for you or others. However if you are working on changing your running form specifically your foot strike these shoes may be a good aid to help with that. It would be similar to video analysis of an athlete’s form.

I don’t plan on running out and buying a pair of any of the ones listed but I wouldn’t mind demoing at least the Altras to see if it’s all hype or if they are worth the extra money.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.