Rapp vs Dimond GoFundMe – Where to start?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Rapp vs Dimond GoFundMe – Where to start?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Michael H 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Thom
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 202

Jordan Rapp GoFundMe

News broke yesterday that pro triathlete, Jordan Rapp is being sued by Dimond for breach of contract. Jordan, a Dimond sponsored athlete, extolled the virtues of Dimond bikes and gave full-throated purchase recommendations while at the same time expressed concerns about the safety of the bikes to Dimond. He left Dimond for Diamondback and now he is being sued $150,000 for breach of contract. The GoFundMe page is setup to help with his legal defense.

For the record, here is Dimond’s response courtesy of TRS.

So many things to cover on this one but one big one is the following. A compensated product endorser with a conflict of interest is probably the last one to take advice relative to high dollar purchases.

Facebook Profile photo
      Harrison Shao
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 20

I’m skeptical of online reviewers since most of them have affiliate links to sell certain products. It’s really easy to do a google search and read a review on a product and forget that some reviewers are also sales people who get a commission from a sale. If a person is making a percentage of a sale, how does one make an appropriate decision to purchase?

I think asking people who use the products and their substitutes (that doesn’t have a financial incentive to talk favorably); and trying out the products themselves is the best solution.

Facebook Profile photo
        Kim Degen
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 135

This situation just doesn’t make any sense to me. If there were so many issues especially with the integrity and safety of the bikes, why did Jordan keep riding the bikes for so long? I know he was under contract and since the pros are not paid that much he may not have had an alternative bike to ride but if they were truly flawed and dangerous I wouldn’t have been racing on one. I found a small crack on my bike a year ago and basically ran right to the bike shop to have it looked at before I would ride another mile on it. It was only a crack in the paint thankfully but I didn’t ignore it or ‘try to make it work’.

Facebook Profile photo
          Michael H
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 31

I agree Kim. Something doesn’t add up. He says the bikes were flawed, yet regrets not being able to give the frames away to an up-and-coming young Tri athlete??

Toward the end of his GoFundMe monologue, he flat-out blames his poor Kona performance on lack of confidence in his Dimond bike. Hmmm..

Interesting that the GoFundMe page is now inactive and not taking donations.

From GFM:

I have decided to end the GoFundMe and refund all donations. More than ever being about the money, I was looking for support. And that has been made extremely clear. So thank you. The value of that support is invaluable.

Facebook Profile photo
            Michael H
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 31

Well, that’s a wrap(p)!!

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Rapp_Dimond_settle_their_dispute_6390.html

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Facebook Profile photo Michael H.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.