Race day cold water swim

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Race day cold water swim

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KloOfyRoLaNd 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Rollin White
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 1

At Trievents #1 I was mentally prepared for the water temperature, but that did not stop my body from exhibiting the classic responses. Mentally I was perfectly calm, and I knew exactly what was happening. However, the more I put my head in the water the shallower my breaths became.

My plan was to keep moving and to keep my head in the water. About half way through the swim I was back into normal form. In retrospect I question if this was the right strategy. I wasted a lot of energy on the first half of the swim and paid for it on the bike.

What is your strategy for dealing with cold-water shock on race day?

KloOfyRoLaNd
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9

I deal with that by getting into the water well before my start time and spend at least 10 minutes in there getting acclimated. I get my face in the water and into my wetsuit then start doing various drills and short swim bursts to get a fast swim start feeling fresh into my mind.

I will use 2 swim caps if the water is in sub to low 60s range. Neoprene cap below 55°F.

=^.^=
        Roland

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.