Outrageously Expensive Triathlon Things

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Outrageously Expensive Triathlon Things

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Kim Degen 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Thom
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 237

A $15,000 Cervelo P5X is a great way to get this topic started. This thing better pedal itself.

Cervelo P5 – $15,000

The P5X will be available in two build options: the SRAM eTap model with ENVE 7.8 wheels has an MSRP of $15,000 and the Shimano Ultegra Di2 model with HED Jet Plus 6 and 9 wheels has an MSRP of $11,000. Those prices may seem outrageous and will put the P5X out of reach for the vast majority of interested triathletes
      Read more at http://www.triathlete.com/2016/10/gear-tech/close-cervelos-new-p5x-triathlon-bike_294503#4ujB5r1IBbWckirM.99

Kim Degen
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 12

For $15,000, this bike better pedal for me and make coffee. I may look cool on it but I highly doubt it would make me that much faster.

A better choice to improve your bike speed that won’t break the bank would be…
        1. Bike fit to dial in your body position on your current bike
        2. Aero Helmet
        3. Skinsuit

For the aero helmet, Rudy Project offers a couple great options and Voler offers a CalTri skinsuit too. Check out our sponsor page for all the details…http://californiatriathlon.org/rc/sponsors-full/.

Facebook Profile photo
        Thom
        Keymaster

Roka Sunglasses

$275 for aviator sunglasses and the whole product line in general. And for those that say you are paying for “the brand” it is unlikely that Roka will be found as a Top 10,000 worldwide brand if they even went that far.

Facebook Profile photo
          Anthony Grey
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 58

I was about to pile on Roka for their $125 cycling jerseys, until I remembered that Wattie Ink
            sells jerseys for $160, seriously! https://www.wattieink.com/collections/mens-cycling

By the way passing, the guy wearing the ridiculously expensive kit on the $10,000 bike with the fancy wheels never gets old.

Facebook Profile photo
            Thom
            Keymaster

Escape From Alcatraz – Olympic – $750 +

WANT TO TALK GOUGING? Escape From Alcatraz, an Olympic, at $750 is outrageous enough but the $1275 relay means that the 10K runner will pay $425 + Active + USAT + tax or bordering on $500. For a 10K. Boston Marathon is $180. There was all kinds of uproar when they jacked the price up in 2015 but there are still a lot of people who pay it even if it is gouging.

Facebook Profile photo
              CarloNotCarlos
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 2

This suit makes you look like Iron Man from the comics (and Robert Downey Jr fame):

TYR Wetsuit

It also has a hidden jet pack to power through that Full or Half distance swim….

Facebook Profile photo
                Kim Degen
                Participant
                • Total Posts: 152

I’ll throw the new Nike Zoom Vaporfly for $250 into the mix here. They are designed to run a sub-2 hour marathon which is great for the handful of elite athletes who are trying to break the 2 hour record but for the rest of us mortals they are marketing them as a way to help reduce fatigue, improve posture and they feel like running downhill. I think I will stick with my Hokas which feel like running on clouds and are half the price or even less when on sale.

See Competitor article at

Nike Unveils Shoes Designed to Run a Sub-2-Hour Marathon

Facebook Profile photo
                  Sara Clifford Randolph
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 79

Along the lines of Kim’s post …. if you invest some time and effort into doing some bike intervals with your training – you will see gains in your fitness and improvements in your race times. If you don’t have a power meter, you can still establish your training zones based on heart rate. (See our training page for more details on establishing zones)

Taking advantage of a skills camp (like our camp coming up in Lake Havasu) would also help with your bike handling skills. If you learn how to take corners on your bike and climb hills – you could improve your race times without buying a really expensive bike.

If you have a tri bike – a good fit that’s comfortable will allow you to spend more time in the aero bars too.

Some bike interval examples would be:

8 x (4 min zone 4, 2 min easy) with a warm up and cool down in zone 1-2

10 x (2 min zone 4, 1 min easy) with a warm up and cool down in zone 1-2

Facebook Profile photo
                    Thom
                    Keymaster

Got this in the mail today. $450 = An entry, $250 gift card, a parking spot & postage. Quite the bargain.

2017 Nautica Malibu Triathlon presented by Equinox

Classic Individual VIP Navigator Package – Very Limited Quantity $450.00

Get the most out of your experience at the 2017 Nautica Malibu Triathlon presented by Equinox. Your Nautica Malibu Triathlon VIP Experience includes :

• Special Navigator Race Day VIP Parking Pass
                      • $250 Nautica Gift Card for Nautica Merchandise
                      • Your Registration Packet sent by Mail

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Facebook Profile photo Thom.
                      Facebook Profile photo
                      Sara Clifford Randolph
                      Participant
                      • Total Posts: 79

Speaking of expensive things …. when you go to a race – how much do you spend at the expo? Are you looking for the latest gadgets, clothes, compression socks, nutrition?

I’ve run a few big city marathons and I’m amazed at all the gear that is bought at the expo. I usually buy a shirt or sweatshirt from the event but spend the rest of the time just looking around. I have purchased a few products that I wasn’t able to find locally or products that I had been looking at online but wasn’t sure what size to buy (compression socks)

Facebook Profile photo
                          Kim Degen
                          Participant

Usually way too much.

Besides clothing (t-shirts, sweatshirts, bike jerseys, etc.), I’ve walked away with a new waterproof iPhone case, helmet, sunglasses, swim goggles and running shoes…luckily not all at one time. I’ve almost purchased a new tri bike too but came to my senses before I made that mistake.

It’s great seeing the new gadgets and tri stuff but in most cases I was buying replacement gear for things that had worn out at the expo discount price. If the gear wasn’t cheaper than I could get it at a local store or online, then I walked away.

Facebook Profile photo
                          Kim Degen
                          Participant

$1700 for a rear derailleur. Are you kidding me?

$1,700 / €1,500 for a rear derailleur anyone?

Posted by BikeRadar on Thursday, March 23, 2017

It’s cool how it’s made but I’m not paying that price for a little part when I could use the money to buy a whole new bike.

Facebook Profile photo
                            Kim Degen
                            Participant

How about some cool new bike shoes for our list?

Mavic’s Comete Ultimate shoes for over $1,000 just might be what you are looking for…

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/mavic-comete-ultimate-road-shoes-price-weight-details-49447/

Facebook Profile photo
                              Mark Lucht
                              Participant
                              • Total Posts: 6

32,500 for a bike.

Ventum

Facebook Profile photo
                                  Thom
                                  Keymaster

That bike better pedal itself at that price. Well found.

Facebook Profile photo
                                    Kim Degen
                                    Participant

Ventum has a booth down in Oceanside so I was able to check them out. Yes they look cool but I agree with Thom that it better be pedaling for me at that price. I saw at least one of the bikes racked for the race so hopefully my little P3 can have the pleasure of blowing by it on the course. 😉

Facebook Profile photo
                                    Marcos Moya
                                    Participant
                                    • Total Posts: 17

Lol how about $15K wheels to go with your $15K bike. Haha

Lew racing Pro Vt 1 custom wheels go for up to $15K

Now youll have a bike that races itself hahahha

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/the-5-most-expensive-road-wheelsets

Facebook Profile photo
                                      Thom
                                      Keymaster

Epic5 Challenge

$10,000 to swim in the Hudson River? You can’t make this stuff up.

Facebook Profile photo
                                          Kim Degen
                                          Participant

Hmmm…Well it is 5 Iron Distance triathlons in 5 days. 😉 Based on the interviews listed on the site, I think the Hawaii version would be much tougher due to the logistics than the NYC version. Even if I had the money, I don’t think I’m crazy enough to try this…yet any way.

Facebook Profile photo
                                          Kim Degen
                                          Participant

So this thread started with a $15,000 Cervelo P5X. A year later, you can get the latest Cervélo P5X Lamborghini Edition at a cool $20k but you better act fact because only 25 are being made.

What Do You Get When You Cross a Lambo with a Cervélo P5X?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.