Need New Workout Music

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Need New Workout Music

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Nate Rusch 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Kim Degen
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 121

My running playlist is getting old…just like me.

So what is currently on everyone’s playlist or what is your go to motivational song? I listen to everything so anything is fair game.

Facebook Profile photo
      Sara Clifford Randolph
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 66

I love the 80’s station on Pandora …. then again that probably makes me as old as your playlist 🙂

urs
        Keymaster
        • Total Posts: 22

I love “Hump Back” by Eldridge Holmes. For that roller derby feel, try “Boys Wanna Be Her,” by Peaches. If you want it uptempo, try “One Thousand Tears of A Tarantula,” by Dengue Fever. If you want something with a more loping feel, try “Horse with A Freeze, Pt. 1” by Roy Ward or “Galang” by MIA. Even more loping & laid-back, try “Cumbia de los Muertos,” by Ozomatli. He’s too party boy for some folks, but “I Know You Want Me” by Pitbull works. For old school, try “Ladykiller” by the Vandals. For even older school, try “Magic Carpet Ride” by Steppenwolf.

Facebook Profile photo
          Thom
          Keymaster
          • Total Posts: 180

50 Songs That Will Kick Your Run Into Another Gear

Lost all credibility by suggesting this…..“Ice Ice Baby” – Vanilla Ice

urs
            Keymaster
            • Total Posts: 22

Agreed. OTOH, would love to know the cheesiest song on all of our workout music playlists — that one you hope no-one ever hears blowing out of your headphones. I bet there’s some Vanilla Ice-adjacent tracks.

For example: Naughty by Nature’s “O.P.P.” Which song’s existence on my iPod I can neither confirm nor deny. 😀

Facebook Profile photo
              Anthony Grey
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 49

I haven’t listened to music during a workout in quite some time, though I often get songs stuck in my head. Lately these are songs from “Moana” that my three-year old listens to over and over. Those probably aren’t helpful.

However as a former DJ and music director of my college radio station (WCWM 90.7 fm, Williamsburg!), self-professed music snob, recovering indie rocker and aging punk, I feel like I have a lot to say about how we experience music.

When you’re running, ask yourself what you hope to get out of your music & plan your playlist accordingly:

ENERGY: Something loud & fast, to give you that feeling of adrenaline, to pick up the pace and increase the effort. My go-to’s for this lean heavily on classic punk and hardcore (Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag), and sometimes veer into speed metal territory (Slayer, Carcass, Napalm Death). Also the “Raw Power” album by Iggy & the Stooges is a favorite. Sneak a couple of loud & fast songs in for the second half of your workout, when you’ll need the boost.

PACE/ENDURANCE: Something with a steady beat that gets in your head and helps you hold your pace. I primarily go back to a lot of 90’s indie rock characterized by atypical, complex, often sustained rhythmic structures, bands like Unwound, Polvo, Crain, Rodan, Drive Like Jehu, even some old Sonic Youth. If this sounds intriguing, I can put together a mix of sorts for anyone interested. I suppose you could also derive these benefits from jazz, maybe some classic Monk or Coltrane, but I’ve never tried that out, and tend to associate physical activity with rock over other genres.

MOTIVATION: If you pay attention to lyrics and need some positive/affirming messages, then there are plenty of popular examples. For some reason, Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” comes to mind. Personally I like Fugazi’s “Long Distance Runner.”

Facebook Profile photo
                Nate Rusch
                Keymaster
                • Total Posts: 14

I used to listen to music a lot when I ran, but lately I’ve just gone without so I don’t have to carry anything with me.

That said, when I WAS bringing music along on my runs, I used RockMyRun, which gives you a number of playlists based on BPM. If you time up your BPM to your cadence, it feels like the music just carries you along…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.