MOST HUNGRY – Post SWIM, post BIKE or post RUN?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion MOST HUNGRY – Post SWIM, post BIKE or post RUN?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Harrison Shao 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Thom
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 129

100% swimming for me. I get out of the pool, whether it is morning or evening swim, and am famished. A 60 minute swim will make me more hungry than a 3 hour bike. I hardly ever get hungry right after a run.

There has to be some sort of research on this….

Facebook Profile photo
      Marie Dhaine
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5

Saying I’m hungry after a swim is an understatement! As soon as I step out of the pool (and sometimes still in the pool),all I can think about is what I going to eat when I’m done!
        The worse part is that I actually stay hungry for about half a day after a swim…
        Here is why: http://www.livestrong.com/article/391401-why-do-you-get-hungry-lose-weight-after-swimming/

Facebook Profile photo
        Sara Clifford Randolph
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 50

Definitely swimming for me! My kids know them when I get home from the pool in the morning, the first thing I’m diving into is breakfast!!! 🙂

The Run Fast Eat Slow Cookbook has some great recipes for make-ahead breakfast. The breakfast burrito and superhero muffins can be frozen and reheated quickly.

I am also rarely hungry after a long run but I know it’s important to get in some recovery nutrition after a hard workout so I usually have a protein shake or chocolate almond milk. If it’s hot out, sometimes I’ll throw a banana, almond milk, scoop of protein, and some ice in the blender for a refreshing shake.

I also mix up FLUID recovery and freeze it in a popsicle mold.

Facebook Profile photo
            Kim Degen
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 99

Popsicles! That’s such a great idea, Sara. Thanks for sharing.

Facebook Profile photo
            Robert C
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 20

Swimming for sure, absolutely starving after a hour plus swim workout. I stop by the local health food joint and grab a bundle of bananas, some dark chocolate nibs, maybe some coconut and hemp treats with a large water. Nothing survives the drive home from Lancaster to Mojave, just empty wrappers and banana peels, lol!

KloOfyRoLaNd
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 9

I get super hungry post a long bike ride (3+hours) or 2+hour long run. Looks like I’m the oddball so far since everyone gets hungry after swimming, hehehe!

Facebook Profile photo
                Monica Lee
                Participant
                • Total Posts: 8

I think the main reason most people are hungry after a swim is that the water temperature is colder so our bodies need to regulate our temperature more. Another possibility could be the positioning of our bodies in the water being horizontal and then we stand up right where the blood flow could go back into the the stomach. Just some thoughts 🙂 Your bodies have enough glucose or carbohydrate in them to sustain them to your best performance for about 90 minutes if you have the correct diet. Longer forms of exercise without eating would make you hungry.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee.
                  • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee.
                  Facebook Profile photo
                  Harrison Shao
                  Keymaster
                  • Total Posts: 15

I’m always hungry.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.