Jammers in the pool, why?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Jammers in the pool, why?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Sara Clifford Randolph 2 months ago.

• Author

urs
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 21

Guys! Why not wear briefs? I so rarely see jammers outside a tri-dominated swim practice.

And if the answer is “because we race in trishorts” — women, why don’t you wear jammers too?

Facebook Profile photo
      Kim Degen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 112

I wear whatever is clean so that may be a traditional swimsuit or my tri kit.

urs
        Keymaster

Ha Kim, you touched on my other swim/tri culture shock question — the notion of “clean” — I was standing around w/a swimmer, a couple of water polo players & one triathlete a while ago & we discovered the triathlete was the only person who ever washed her swimsuit. Between this and the pool-peeing conversation I’m establishing myself as a super grotty girl, but tbh I never ever wash my suit. Don’t know anyone who does. Rinse, yes. Wash, no.

Facebook Profile photo
          Thom
          Keymaster
          • Total Posts: 155

Getting up early to swim is tough enough without having to see your friend’s in swim briefs. What has been seen can never be unseen. +1 for jammers.

…and of course you wash your suit. Gets the chlorine out of the material so the suit lasts longer. +1 for washing your suit.

urs
            Keymaster

While I’ll happily grant you a personal exception on the washing machine front — I’ve seen how long you sit around in those jammers! — and def. can’t defend my general grossness, disagree re: chlorine. Washing w/detergent not necessary to get it out and it’s bad for the suit. Case in point: Speedo washing instructions “To prevent chemical damage to SPEEDO® swimwear, rinse your SPEEDO® suit in cold water immediately after each use. Do not wash suit with any detergent.” (http://www.speedousa.com/Customer-Service/Product-Information) -1 on the washing machine

On the friends don’t let friends parade around in wisps of fabric front…hmm. I have no comment. Or, I have plenty but I don’t want to objectify you guys…out loud anyway. 😉

Facebook Profile photo
              Kim Degen
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 112

I’m a wash the swimsuit person too. If I only used them in the pool then maybe I would follow Speedo’s instructions but they get used in the open water too and just rinsing them out will not ‘make them clean again’. Of course, this does mean buying suits more often but I can live with that.

urs
                Keymaster

Open water! The missing link. That makes perfect sense. If only this forum could solve all mysteries as easily 😀

Facebook Profile photo
                  Sara Clifford Randolph
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 57

my only requirement is that the swim-suit bottom has a drawstring ….. if not, that can end badly when you push off the wall 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.