Global Running Day – June 7th

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Global Running Day – June 7th

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Jen Gonzales 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Kim Degen
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 128

It’s Global Running Day so I hope everyone is getting out there and running today. Anyone have cool plans for their run? A Unique place? Or maybe you are taking up running again after a hiatus? Or maybe for the first time?

I’m hitting the dirt trails at Shady Canyon in Irvine for my run tonight. Check out the OC calendar for details if you would like to join. 🙂

Facebook Profile photo
      Anthony Grey
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 51

I’ll be heading to the track tonight with Cal Tri training partners and Coach Claudius at Beverly Hills High School. Come join us at 7 PM, RSVP here. Track regulars will be testing their limits with high knee drills followed by a mile time trial! We welcome all levels of fitness & experience; workouts can be adjusted accordingly. If you’re not already a runner, Global Running Day is a great day to start!

The cynic in me assumed Global Running Day was just some recent social media creation invented by big corporations to sell shoes, however it seems like the motivation is more benevolent (get more people running to encourage health & fitness, pledge to run a certain number of miles, inspire kids, etc) It started in 2009 as National Running Day in the US. The first Global Running Day was in 2016.

Of course triathletes & runners don’t need a special day to go running. For many of us, today is just Wednesday. But it’s good excuse to share & encourage others to take up the habit.

Here’s an interesting article that hit my feed today with a little history about running in the US:
        http://time.com/4801654/running-day-heart-attack/

Facebook Profile photo
        Sara Clifford Randolph
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 71

I did a run that consisted of 15 min warm up, a series of 1 min sprints with 1 min recovery, then a 15 min cool down.

I did the run on a rolling hills route for a little challenge and set my watch to beep every minute so I knew when it was time to sprint/rest without looking at my watch …. I thought it was a fun way to pass the time for an 8 mile run and not knowing exactly when the watch would beep made it a little more exciting 🙂

This workout could be done with varying distances, speeds, and sprint/recovery times. It’s also a great way to include speed if you don’t have access to a track.

I may be a triathlete but running is my true passion!

Facebook Profile photo
          Jen Gonzales
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 4

I did a run consisting of a 10 minute warm-up, 30 minutes at race pace, and then a 10 minute cool down on a small incline trail. It was great to see so many people running at all different speeds to celebrate National Running Day!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.