Give a doper his due?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Give a doper his due?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Jared Willbergh 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Les Borsay
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 15

Just saw online that Lance Armstrong just got engaged. Not something I looked for, just part of the general shotgun of information that comes our way on a daily basis. It made me pause and consider my complicated feelings for Armstrong. Champion/Cheater. He was winning the Tour when I first started getting into riding (which led me to triathlon) and seeing those Tour victories inspired me. Yes, trash truck hill was my own Alpe d’huez, I had his poster at my desk at work, my wife called him my man-crush when July would come around. I had heard that he was a jerk, a real asshole, but he was the best cyclist in the world so of course I suspected he could be cocky. But then the truth came out. I was really upset, though by that time, not surprised. He was the person who I had been greatly inspired by not just for his racing but for his life story (I had bought his autobiography for my Dad after he was diagnosed with cancer and wore a yellow wristband). The wristband was gone and I would never consider reading a book by him or about him, o his training methods ever. He was a cheater and destroyed careers. He was a lyer who defamed people who knew he was a cheat. His lifetime ban is appropriate for what he did. My hero turned out to be a zero.
      But…I still have a grudging appreciation for the fact that he helped inspire me to ride. I rode the Tour of California route with the CalTri Epic Ride on Saturday. Would I have ever considered doing that if I hadn’t seen Armstrong crushing his rivals in the Alps? Would I have ever started riding up the Angeles Crest Highway if I hadn’t read that Armstrong would regularly train on those hills? Would I have thought about competing in triathlons if he hadn’t done triathlons before he switched to just the bike. I appreciate that’s just the fond memory of Armstrong the myth rather than Armstrong the man. I never met him, he never sent me an e-mail saying “go out early tomorrow to get additional miles in”, or suggestested I add more hills to my routes, but if I ever ran into him, despite all that he had done to the sport and to our trust, I’d still need to thank him.

Facebook Profile photo
      Thom
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 196

Lance fanboi!

Facebook Profile photo
        Marcos Moya
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 17

Oh Armstrong, I’ll admit I still watch his old TLF performances and try to ignore the fact that he was probably doped during those rides. but oh well.

Facebook Profile photo
          Jared Willbergh
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 20

I stood out in the pouring rain during the second year of the Amgen Tour in downtown Santa Rosa just to see Lance Armstrong race by. It was so wet and cold and they were going so fast that it was virtually impossible to actually “see” Lance, but it was epic. That was also the last year (I think) that Floyd Landis raced (anybody remember Rock Racing?). I am very conflicted about what has happened with Lance in the past couple of years, but also give him a lot of credit for inspiring me to get into cycling as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.