Eating/Drinking while riding

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Eating/Drinking while riding

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Kevin Komenkul
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 4

I know this is a beginner question and I probably should have figured it out by now, but have been too scared to try to eat/drink while riding. Cycling is not my favorite activity and I still wobble about sometimes. Any tips to keep in mind so that when I let go of the handlebars, I won’t go flopping over? I know I’m supposed to use my core to steer the bike, but I don’t think I’m doing it right. Doing it on the trainer doesn’t seen the same as on the road. I’ve always relied on stops during a long ride to eat and drink. My first 70.3 is coming up in the end of July.

Facebook Profile photo
      Thom
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 155

Practice, practice, practice. When you put your bottle back into the cage on your frame the key is to keep looking forward while feeling for the cage. As long as you look forward and keep one hand on the bars you have endless chances to get the bottle back in the cage. As for food, for right handed people I recommend putting nutrition in your back right pocket for easy access. There are a bunch of other items that are specific. Give me a ring if you want to go over them.

I suggest you get a ride in at the Rose Bowl with Jordan at jordancp21@gmail.com. Ask him for some pointers.

Facebook Profile photo
        Jared Willbergh
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 16

Practicing on the trainer is helpful, as Thom mentioned try to look forward while pulling your bottle out and putting back in. When on the road shoot to practice on a road that has a wider bike lane, that way if you do wobble a bit you dont ride into traffic. Take it slow and with time it will become second nature to you.

Facebook Profile photo
          Anthony Grey
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 37

Hey Kevin,

I definitely second (& third!) what Thom & Jared said about practicing and looking forward while you reach. Practice reaching on the trainer, then in an empty parking lot before you roll into situations with cars and other riders.

There are accessories you can get for your bike that will move some of your go-to nutrition & hydration items in front of you rather than underneath or behind you.

A pack that attaches to your top tube can hold your gels and snacks. Something like this

Additionally there are bottle cages and drink holders that mount between your aero bars (if you have aero bars) or your bottom tube and connect with a long, flexible straw so that you can take a sip without reaching or taking your eyes off the road. I have this one – and it works pretty well.

Facebook Profile photo
              Nate Rusch
              Keymaster
              • Total Posts: 11

I am not super comfortable on the bike either, but one trick I found helps when reaching for a downtube bottle is to shift a gear or two harder before you go to drink. That way you don’t need to keep such a high cadence and risk the chance of hitting your knees with your hands. Plus, it means you can pedal slower for 15 seconds or so while you drink, then put the bottle back in and throw down a few strong pedal strokes and you’re back in business!

I also second Anthony’s suggestion here for nutrition in the aero bars. I have an XLab Torpedo up front, which keeps my nutrition in front all day so I can’t forget to drink. The torpedo cage is also the same size as a regular bottle cage, so when you’re on the trainer or just don’t feel like filling and cleaning the bottle, you can throw in any standard bike bottle.

Facebook Profile photo
              Sara Clifford Randolph
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 57

Another option might be a hydration pack on your back. I know it may not be very aerodynamic and may cost you a little time in transition but you have the fluid available on your back and can reach over to just put the straw in your mouth. you can also carry this on the run.

some races may not allow hydration packs so best to check with the athlete guide or double check at the course talk. but it’s another option in addition to the great suggestions that people have already given

Facebook Profile photo
                Monica Lee
                Participant
                • Total Posts: 12

Practice is definitely key. I use a profile aero hydro bottle which attached to your aero bars.Helps me to stay in the aero position longer and reduces me from reaching down to get my water bottle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.