Different goggles for open water swimming?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Different goggles for open water swimming?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Sara Clifford Randolph 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

urs
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 23

Hey, do you all use different goggles for open water swims vs. the pool? Why (or why not)? I swim and race in Speedo Vanquishers but am now wondering if I should branch out.

Facebook Profile photo
      Kim Degen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 128

When I started swimming, I used the Speed Vanquishers too for the pool and OWS. However after a few open water swims, I started looking for a different pair of goggles that would allow me to have a better field of vision. I ended up switching to Aqua Sphere Vistas for OWS due to the increase visibility and leak resistant material. At times they do let a little water in but it’s usually because I didn’t make sure they were under my cap. I eventually just switched to using the vistas for pool swims as well…less gear to worry about.

Facebook Profile photo
        Anthony Grey
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 51

I switched to a tinted pair of goggles for my open water swims because sun glare became an issue for me a lot of the time (most of my open water swims happen around sunrise or sunset) and that affected my sighting.

Facebook Profile photo
          Michael H
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 28

Once I found a brand/model that fit and didn’t leak (in my case Aqua Sphere Kayennes), I use that same brand/model for pool or OW. However, I have one clear and one tinted pair to choose from, depending on conditions.

Also, I always bring both pairs in case I need a back-up…ask me how I learned that lesson, haha!!

Facebook Profile photo
              Kim Degen
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 128

So you said to ask…How did you learn that little lesson about back-ups? 🙂

Facebook Profile photo
                  Michael H
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 28

Haha!!

I brought one pair out to a training swim. Brand-new. Went to put them on my head (which is admittedly oversized, haha!!) and “SNAP!!” went the strap. Drat!!

Since I left the other pair at home (It would be silly to bring two pair…they take up so much room in the car) there I was, trying to tie two frayed ends of a silicone strap together so I could get in the water. D’oh!!

My “field expedient” repair worked, sort-of. The goggles were near impossible to adjust at that point, so I cranked them down to prevent leaks. Uncomfortable, but I got to swim.

Lesson learned!! Bring a back up!! 👍

urs
                Keymaster
                • Total Posts: 23

Thanks for all the good advice. And Michael, that is quite a story. I had a friend learn the same lesson…at a meet…but in his case he found himself in need of a backup suit!

Had a wonderful ocean swim this morning, + pod of dolphins. Isn’t California amazing!!!

Facebook Profile photo
                  Sara Clifford Randolph
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 71

I use Speedo Vanquishers to race and train. I use a new pair for raceday and then rotate those into my (way too many!) pairs of goggles at the bottom of my swim bag.

I prefer tinted although during early season or late season races – I’ve been a little nervous hoping for sunrise and some natural light for my dark goggles 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.