Carbohydrate intake during exercise?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Carbohydrate intake during exercise?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Monica Lee 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Monica Lee
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 12

Carbohydrates are your bodies main source of energy. During prolonged exercise carbohydrates are needed to maintain performance. Around 5 to 12 g/kg of carbohydrates should be consumed based upon your training level, size, gender, and the intensity of the workout. This is around 30 to 60 grams carbohydrates each hours or 1gram/min is digested to reduce your performance and to minimize any GI issues. Around 2.5 hours and longer exercise you should consume around 90 grams per hour.

What is your main carbohydrate intake during a triathlon?

Facebook Profile photo
      Ben Vanmarcke
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6

Only liquids for me – 2 gels before the swim, then sports drink till I’m done. 400 calories / hour.

Facebook Profile photo
        Thom
        Keymaster
        • Total Posts: 155

200 calories average. 250 on the bike and 150 on the run. You need just enough fuel to trigger your glycogen stores. Too little and you run out of gas. Too much and you greatly increase your chances of GI issues. Trial and error at different temperatures.

Fueling is less important in sprint or Olympic and you get get away with a mistake at half distance. Not so much at long distance.

NY Time Triathlon Article

During a workout of less than 60 minutes, you most likely don’t need to consume any fuel. However, during a sprint triathlon, sports drinks really come in handy, says Marni Sumbal, a board certified sports dietitian, triathlete coach and Ironman athlete. Since sports drinks contain fluids, carbohydrates to fuel your race and electrolytes, you get essentially everything you need in one shot. Find a brand you like, and use it in training, so on race day you know exactly how much your stomach can handle at once.

In Olympic-distance triathlons, things get trickier. Your body may need more fuel than a sports drink can provide, but it’s not easy to eat on the run. So, Ms. Sumbal suggests refueling with a gel (a small packet of concentrated carbohydrates in near-liquid form) while you’re on your bike, since it doesn’t jostle your innards the way running does.

In an Ironman or Half-Ironman, fueling is essentially the fourth discipline. “Your calorie needs are much greater,” says Ms. Sumbal, adding that most athletes need 200-280 calories per hour on the bike and 120 calories per hour on the run. You may need more than a steady stream of gels and sports drinks provide, too. Flavor fatigue becomes a real issue during longer races — try taking small sips of sweet stuff for 12 hours straight and you’ll see what we mean. Many athletes eat real foods — nut butter on a waffle or hearty granola bars — while on the bike. (During my second Ironman I pulled a spicy chicken sandwich from the back pocket of my cycling jersey at mile 70.)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Facebook Profile photo Thom.
          Facebook Profile photo
          Michael H
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 19

I’m one of those folks who can’t eat “real food” during strenuous excercise. Big time GI issues. I wish I could, because those Uncrustables always look so tasty at SAG 🙂

For shorter distances, I rely on Base Salt for electrolytes along with Hammer Gel for carbs. For longer distances, I use a mix of Hammer Gel and Hammer Perpetuem Solids. The Perpetuem has carbs+protein, which helps keep me feeling satiated and fueled during longer events.

That being said, I need to work on my intake. I have a tendency to forget about taking in nutrition during the event, and I’m paying for it at the end haha!!

Facebook Profile photo
            Monica Lee
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 12

Setting alarms for nutrition can help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.