Bike Borrowing/Rental

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Bike Borrowing/Rental

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Thom 4 months ago.

• Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    jndupuy
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 2

Hello fellow Caltri members. I have two guy friends who are looking to participate in their first sprint triathlon June 25th at the California International Triathlon in Pleasanton, CA. Neither one of them have their own bike, and seeing as it is their first race they don’t want to invest into buying a bike just yet. If you or anyone you know may have a bike to fit a guy 5’10” and 6’0″ – a road or hybrid bike let me know! I live in SGV and they live on Westside.

The other question – has anyone ever rented a bike for a triathlon, and how was the experience, or any recommendations on best deal/place to rent?

Hoping these guys will catch the tri bug after their first race, so would love for them to have the opportunity to participate without having to spend a fortune for a bike.

Advanced thanks!

Cheers,

Jess

Facebook Profile photo
      Mark Lucht
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6

Helen’s

They rent bikes. Various bikes from different locations. They will also make sure it is a good fit for them. I would recommend that so they are comfortable on the bike. Are they doing a sprint without training on a bike?

Facebook Profile photo
          jndupuy
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 2

Thanks Mike – I’ll look into Helens. Both of the guys have been using the stationary bikes at their gym for training thus far, and they have ridden bikes out before, just not regularly.

And Sara – thank you so so much! I really appreciate you looking into all of those places for me. I will definitely be there in my caltri kit, and hopefully we can use one of these sources to get a bike sorted out for my friends to participate and come by the tent too!

Really appreciate your help and looking forward to the race!

Facebook Profile photo
          Sara Clifford Randolph
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 66

Hi Jess – I checked into a few places here in the Bay Area (I checked with Performance Bike, Sports Basement, , Mike’s Bikes, and Velofix) and found that Mike’s Bikes is the only one that currently offers bike rental. The cost is $100 for 24 hours and you would need to give them 3-5 days advance notice.

I personally haven’t rented a bike or borrowed one for a race so I can’t offer any advice there. I have a road bike but it’s sized for a 5’8″ female.

Be sure to stop by the Cal Tri Tent when you guys race on June 25th! We will have a great recovery zone and some Cal Tri Info for your friends 🙂

-Coach Sara

Facebook Profile photo
            Thom
            Keymaster
            • Total Posts: 180

Have them check out Spinlister where you can rent bikes from the locals. Have heard mixed reviews but something to look into. Affordable from what I have seen.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.