Best races in SoCal?

Home Page California Triathlon Discussion Best races in SoCal?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jordan 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jordan
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 3

Just wanted to see what people’s favorite triathlons are in the Southern California area. I’m mainly looking at the olympic and half distances.

Thanks!

Facebook Profile photo
      Kim Degen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 152

My top three favorite Olympics would have to be…
        Trick or Tri
        OC Tri
        Big Bear Tri

Trick or Tri because it’s flat, fast and a closed bike course. It’s a perfect race for your friends and family to come out and watch too because of the looped course. The beer garden helps too. 😉

OC Tri is great because of the challenging bike and run course.

Big Bear Tri is a fun race at altitude. I often turn the race into a get away weekend up in the mountains.

All of the races have a great atmosphere and are well supported. Lucky for us, they are all part of the Grand Prix California too.

Facebook Profile photo
        Thom
        Keymaster
        • Total Posts: 237

Would have to add KOZ events especially since they have a package deal for all 6 races as well as TriEvents and their 4 races….and again part of the 2018 GRAND PRIX California.

Facebook Profile photo
          David Chen
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 6

Big Bear Tri was definitely a lot of fun but challenging, especially if you are not used to the altitude.

Howard Nemetz
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 7

I like Trick or Tri because it’s contained and well organized.

Big Bear is a lot of fun. Very hard because of the altitude (it turns out oxygen is kind of important for breathing and stuff) and because they don’t know how to make flat roads in the area.

I love the Santa Barbara tri as well. It’s a bit longer than an Olympic, but it’s well organized, competitive, and the area is beautiful.

Facebook Profile photo
                Kim Degen
                Participant
                • Total Posts: 152

Good points about the Big Bear course, Howard & David. Another great thing about Big Bear is that they have a Sprint and an “Olympic” (bike course is 31ish miles) so if you’ve never done a race at altitude then you can do the Sprint distance your first time to get a feel for it without out suffering as much. Also the Sprint course at Big Bear only has a couple small climbs that you need to get over before you can enjoy the ride around the lake.

Facebook Profile photo
                Thom
                Keymaster
                • Total Posts: 237

Santa Barbara long course with the 10 mile run at the end is a nice race.

Jordan
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 3

Thanks for all the replies! The Santa Barbara race looks very nice. Big Bear has been on my list for a while. We’ll see if timing works out this year.

Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.