Start: Amtrak Station Anaheim, 2626 East Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92806
Finish: Solana Beach Pizza Port, 135 N. Highway 101, Solana Beach, CA 90725
Route: 80 miles & 2800’ elevation
Angels & Demons is so named because it starts in the shadows of MLB Angel Stadium of Anaheim, “Angels”, and ends at Solana Beach Pizza Port, “Demons”, which serves as a great post-ride venue for pizza and 58 beer choices at last count. As Epic Rides go it is mild at 2800’ of elevation and typically attracts a mix of experienced and beginner cyclists. The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner leaves Solana Beach at 3:50 pm for Anaheim with bikes returning via truck.
Angels and Demons is broken into 4 parts: The SART [Santa Anna River Trail] to the Balboa Island Ferry, OC Beach Cities, Camp Pendleton and Oceanside to Solana Beach.
- Mile 0-18: SART TO BALBOA ISLAND FERRY. The beginning of the ride is 14 miles on the SART leading to the PCH and Balboa Island Ferry. If your front wheel hits the Pacific Ocean you went too far on the SART. For all the coffee drinkers, there are good bathrooms shortly after getting on the PCH South. Make sure you bring $1.25 for the Balboa Island Ferry.
- Mile 18-43: OC BEACH CITIES. Second leg highlights include Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach, Dana Point and San Clemente with a lot of rollers. San Clemente State Beach marks the end of the first half of the ride.
- Mile 43-64: CAMP PENDLETON. The reports are always glowing for the third part of the ride which include San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station and Camp Pendleton. In addition to bringing your ID, you must fill out the Camp Pendleton Access Form to ride through the base. Failure to bring ID or filling out the form means you will be turned away at the camp entrance.
- Mile 64-80: OCEANSIDE TO SOLANA BEACH. The final stretch includes the beautiful San Diego Beach communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas and Solana Beach. Solana Beach Pizza Port marks the end of the ride and attentions turn to reconnecting with your bag with a fresh set of clothes, loading your bike and enjoying pizza and beer with the team.
- ID and Access Form. In addition to bringing your ID, you must fill out the Camp Pendleton Access Form to ride through the base. Failure to bring ID or filling out the form means you will be turned away at the camp entrance.
- California Triathlon Kits Required. Cal Tri kits are required for all Epic Rides. Luckily there are kit order throughout the year with a bit of planning. Cyclists without a kit will be turned away.
- With a 7 am departure there will be cyclists finishing at 11 am [20 mph average] and others closer to 3:00 pm [10 mph]. If you are a slower rider concerned with the pace, identify others who want to ride at your pace, conserve energy by drafting where possible and minimize stoppage time.
- Order Lunch Ahead. Pizza Port is very popular and waits can be 30-45 minutes. Order when you stop at Oceanside [Mile 64] and lunch will be ready upon your arrival. (858) 481-7332